GEOLINKS International Conference 2019, Book 2
GREEN DESIGN AND SUSTAINABLE ARCHITECTURE
EUROPEAN UNIVERSITY CURRICULA FOR ARCHITECTS TOWARDS INTEGRATED DESIGN FOR TACKLING GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE BEYOND 2020
Dr. hab. Barbara Widera
This paper addresses two main research problems: existing gaps and challenges in architectural education as well as possible actions that could be undertaken to improve the university curricula for architects. The aim of the paper is to:
1. Identify the gaps between
• European university curricula for architects
• Actual environmental policies at global and European level and
• EU Research, Innovation and Development Programmes.
2. Provide suggestions for necessary changes in European university curricula in purpose to prepare the future generations of architects to lead and control integrated design processes towards tackling global climate change beyond 2020.
The author presents the results of current situation analysis, completed with the survey among architects, academic teachers and students of architecture from three EU countries. On the basis of these results suggestions concerning proposed changes in the academic education for architects are put forward. These recommendations are oriented towards integrated design for tackling global climate change beyond 2020.
education, innovation, sustainable architecture, energy efficiency, climate change.